[lbo-talk] Continuing China fever

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 10 02:08:01 PDT 2004

--- uvj at vsnl.com wrote: I never said or implied that economic development is only possible under a liberal democratic form of government. But there is no progress, whether economic or political, in a linear fashion. Uneven and combined development is the rule. ---

I would go as far as to point out that authoritarian governments can foster economic development quite effectively. In the past 100 years, how many times has a region "developed" under a liberal democratic system of government? Scandinavia. Maybe India. In this part of the world, the fastest development rates ever were during the time of you-know-who, that Georgian guy.