[lbo-talk] Re: henwood on goodman

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 11 08:54:33 PDT 2004

jimi ayler wrote:

>damn! i really don't know what bug with amy goodman's
>name crawled up mr. henwood's heinie

Look, Amy Goodman does many admirable things. But she shares a lot of flaws with the rest of the American left - a tendency to moralize rather than analyze, to report street protest (esp if there's police brutality involved) than to discuss politics and policy. A friend who tried to get DN to cover Venezuela a few years ago reports no interest - because "there were no bodies involved." What Chavez was trying to do, where he came from, whom he represented are't interesting topics in themselves; it's only interesting if the CIA is plotting a coup.

Her interview with Clinton embodies both her virtues and her shortcomings. It showed courage and tenacity - but on the other hand, she couldn't really challenge him on substance. And if I had the president on the phone, I don't think the first question I'd ask would be about Leonard Peltier. The choir loves that sort of thing, but it's really not a very good use of precious airtime.

But she's famous and I'm not, so I guess I should shut up.

Doug