[lbo-talk] Gawker on Hitch

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 11 12:54:33 PDT 2004

I think Perry Anderson's analysis (written prior to 9/11/01) had it right:

...the very same -- non-partisan, independent -- sectors of opinion that produced big poll majorities against impeachment, well beyond the Democratic electorate, were also those that, on the same grounds, did not want to be reminded of Clinton two years later. They saved him for the sake of an office that he had nevertheless -- in their eyes -- besmirched. It was no good invoking him as a great President. Gore's decision to distance himself from Clinton in 2000 was not stupidity or pique. It was the same kind of calculation as Clinton's decision to move towards Gingrich in 1995. Clinton was a capable communicator, if not in the Kennedy/Reagan class, but no outstanding tactician, as a glance at his first phase in office shows. What made him the dextrous professional who could finesse a Republican Congress was the hiring of expert polling advice ... on what would play best with voters. Similarly, Gore made no move during the campaign that was not intensively researched and developed by his pollsters and strategists, certainly not less proficient at their trade than Clinton's. Their key finding, widely reported, was that the independent voters whom either candidate had to win were put off by Clinton's name by a 2-to-1 margin. Faced with this evidence, however difficult it might be for loyalists to credit, Gore could not risk clinging to coat-tails to which so many swing voters were averse. Polls taken since the election (but before the final debacle of cash-for-pardons) show why. Asked how Clinton would be remembered as a President, 44 per cent rated him above-average or outstanding, 53 as average or below. But when asked what he would be remembered for, 14 per cent said 'economy/budget', 6 per cent 'foreign policy', and 74 per cent said 'scandals'...

The whole article (at <www.newleftreview.net/NLR24201.shtml>) reads particularly interestingly now -- an indication of the (limited) changes 9/11 brought about. --CGE