[lbo-talk] Gawker on Hitch

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 11 16:52:29 PDT 2004

Given the circumstances of the '92 and '96 campaigns, I don't see anything particularly brilliant in his campaigning, or in his forensic (so to speak) abilities. (As we say in Illinois, he's no Alan Keyes...) The Gore people were undoubtedly correct, until they lost their nerve at the end, as the subsequent number crunching makes clear. Anderson writes, "Commenting on the campaign, Gore's campaign adviser Carter Eskew put it very simply: 'Clinton was the elephant in the living-room'. See his retrospect in the Washington Post, 30 January 2001. State by state, there was an all but perfect match in exit polls between Clinton's image and the electoral result" (i.e., the better the Clinton image, the better Gore did, and conversely). In 2000, I like many people voted against the incumbent. --CGE