[lbo-talk] Re: Democracy and Constitutional Rights

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Wed Aug 11 18:08:22 PDT 2004

Dear List:

Miles writes:

> Good thing you've identified the universal hierarchy of
sexual enlightenment, and can accurately place people on this hierarchy.

Again, it is a matter of logic/rationality.

If people are to live together in some sort of balance and/or harmony, there is a need for them to communicate so that they may be understood and reach a mutually agreed upon balance.

If one person or group of people decides that certain aspects of life are not open for public discussion, then they are making the job of achieving a workable harmony more difficult. It is also a strategy used by those who wish to establish/maintain a power advantage over those whom they wish to dominate. By declaring certain topics off limits, they (if they are a majority or in a position of power) are able to dictate behavior to everyone without having to go through the process of public discussion and debate. This is why the discourse of shame came into being.

> It's just a coincidence that you position yourself as one of the sexually

enlightened, right?

I only claim that a) I approach the issue on the basis of logic and rationality; b) I reject the power discourse of shame as biased and antithetical to the building of a just society; and c) logic and rationality are the best tools devised so far in the struggle for a just society since all human beings have them in common, whether or not they make use of them.

> This is what I mean by blatant ethnocentrism.

Again with ethnocentrism. I ask once more: what does my race or ethnicity have to do with my opinions on sexual rights? Or to put it another way: why does my exercise of logic lead to you to charge me with ethnocentrism? Am I mistaken in believing in the effectiveness of logical discourse and rationality? Have you found better and more effective tools than logic and rational discussion with which to forge a just and fair society?

If you have a counter argument to make, why don't you make it instead of engaging in petulant, random sniping which in my opinion accomplishes nothing.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister