[lbo-talk] Krugman on reconciling household & establishment surveys

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Aug 12 01:26:07 PDT 2004

LIBERAL OASIS

August 12, 2004

*** SPECIAL EDITION ***

Interview With Paul Krugman

(posted Aug. 12 1 AM ET)

<snip>

LO: Turning to jobs, the latest conservative line is that we should be

looking at the "household" survey as opposed to the "establishment" [or

"payroll"] survey...

PK: ...The real thing about the household survey, first of all, for

month-to-month changes it's useless. Because its just too noisy.

If you want me to believe in the 600,000 job gain in July, you have to

then say you also believe in the 270,000 job loss in February, which

nobody thinks happened.

And in fact if you go back in November 2002, the household survey

said, I think, that 600,000 jobs disappeared, which nobody believes.

It's just a lousy...very noisy measure, month-to-month.

The other thing: people who take a longer-term thing and talk about

the household survey have this funny habit of not reading the

footnotes.

You can't just take the number from some month in 2001 and compare it

with a month now, because there are population adjustments that are

made in January...

...Anyway, the right way to do it is to look at the

employment-population ratio, which is what the household survey tells

you. What fraction of adults are working.

And what that number does is it goes from, I think, 64.4 in early

2001, drops to 62.2 -- in one month 62.1 but that's probably just

noise -- last summer, and it's now recovered to 62.5.

The point is what you got is this drastic deterioration in the number

of jobs available per person. And a tiny recovery, maybe, over the

past year.

And that's basically a story that's consistent with the payroll

numbers.

<end excerpt>

Michael