[lbo-talk] Washington Post mea culpa

paul childs npchilds at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 12 09:10:56 PDT 2004

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A58127-2004Aug11.html

Well, kinda.

Probably the most long winded pseudo apology/rationalization I've ever read. Hilarious in some parts, recalling the glory days of toppling Nixon (despite the best efforts of the WP White House staff, which Woodward and Bernstein weren't a part of, so they couldn't be muzzled), the heroic efforts of over grown preppie Woodward to run critical material (on page A17), reporters being grilled by intelligence officers on why they (reporters) weren't digging harder, the assertion by one editor that even though they didn't do their job they don't owe readers an apology and that the hardest working reporter on the story was 71 years old (i.e. someone who could remember that being lied to by your government was a bad thing).

All in all a sad commentary on the media.

PC

N P Childs

'I'm Mister Bad Example, the stranger in the dirt, I like to have a good time and I don't care who gets hurt'.

-Mr. Bad Example, W Zevon