[lbo-talk] Pubic Sociologies

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 12 11:52:16 PDT 2004

Joseph Wanzala wrote:

>http://www.asanet.org/convention/2004/featsesslist.html
>
>Featured Sessions on Public Sociologies
>The featured sessions aim to validate a public sociology that speaks
>across and beyond disciplines, that converses with all manner of
>publics, that affirms but also transcends local and national
>differences, that engages with the pressing issues of our time, and
>that, in so doing, vitalizes all sociology. Public sociology has
>many faces and many languages. So, with the help of the Ford
>Foundation, the world's most renown sociologists and public
>intellectuals will congregate in San Francisco to create a World
>Sociological Forum, a clashing of voices and perspectives on social
>science's public mission.

and don't forget:

Public Sociology and the Media Paper Session: Regular Session. Public Sociology and the Media

is scheduled on Monday, 8/16/2004 from 10:30 a.m. - 12:10 p.m.

Organizer(s):

* Arlene Stein (Rutgers, State University of New Jersey) Participant(s):

1. Andrea Press - University of Illinois (Presider)

2. Arlene Stein (Rutgers, State University of New Jersey) Abstract Title: Discipline and Publish

3. Ronald N. Jacobs (University at Albany), Eleanor R. Townsley (Mount Holyoke College) Abstract Title: Media Intellectuals and Public Sociology: The Case of Op-Eds in the New York Times

4. Elizabeth Grauerholz (Purdue University), Lori Baker-Sperry (Western Illinois University) Abstract Title: The Perils of Going Public

5. Liza Featherstone - Contributing Editor, THE NATION (Discussant)

6. Susan J. Douglas - University of Michigan (Discussant)