[lbo-talk] Re: Democracy and Constitutional Rights

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 12 12:34:17 PDT 2004

Dear List:

Charles asks:

> Just out of curiosity, what was Buddha's position on marriage, both
different-sex and same-sex?

I would presume that the Buddha would have encouraged marriages that reduced suffering and opposed those that did not.

As far as sexuality was concerned, Buddha's advice was to refrain from sexual misconduct, i.e., using or engaging in sex in deceitful, manipulative or cruel ways.

The idea is not to ignore or crush sexual desire, but to engage in it with compassion and without attachment.

Nathan writes:

>So the reality is that the courts in all but a handful of states have done
exactly what the population wanted, and in most states have granted protection for gays against discrimination that the courts never did.

In about a year we will see if the State Supreme Court strikes down the ban on same-sex marriage in California. In the meantime, we will see if the haters in the legistlature see the light and pass a law allowing same-sex marriage. I wonder if they will act?

> I will show you the state laws passed by democratic governments that
have passed such laws, just as the federal government has banned discrimination against gays in most areas of federal employment.

Could a court mandate protection for queers or can it just void laws that are discriminatory?

Also, why hasn't the federal governemnt amended the civil rights laws to include queers. I seem to remember that when Bill Bradley proposed doing so, many legislators were fiercely opposed to even having a debate on the subject, nevermind actually doing something. Have things changed much?

Make a list of all the legistlatures that have passed laws allowing same-sex marriage.

Now, compare this list to one of the legislatures that have passed either laws or amendments banning same-sex marriage.

Which is longer?

Why do you keep pushing for queers to take the most homophobic and hostile route? So we can waste our time while hets gather strength? It should be obvious that legislatures will do one of two things: nothing or pass laws/amendments against same-sex marriage.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister