[lbo-talk] KPFA Staff Open Letter to the Local Station Board

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 12 16:47:17 PDT 2004

The atmosphere around WBAI is also turning poisonous. It would require immersing myself far more than I want to in station politics to sort it all out, but there's a highly racialized battle going on between members of the local station board, complaining about "black racism" on the airwaves, and the existing station leadership, which is allied with forces alleging a conspiracy to purge the "Africans" at WBAI. It's very sad and destructive, and as was the case during the Pacifica civil wars of several years ago, it's very difficult to take sides. Pacifica is a very precious resource - five radio licenses in New York, Washington, Berkeley, Los Angeles, and Houston - and it's not being managed very well. I'm tempted to say that if you listen, or might listen, or care about left institutions in the U.S., you should pay attention, but there's really no good disinterested source of information on the problem. And it's a big problem.

Joseph Wanzala would dissent. He sent a 30k post on the topic earlier today, which I rejected for length. If he can get it down to a more manageable level, he's welcome to air his side of things. As readers might guess, I'm with Sasha Lilley on this.

Doug