[lbo-talk] re: biz ethics and slavery

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Thu Aug 12 06:59:35 PDT 2004

And the way you do that is by hiring wage-slaves and paying them less than the value of the commodities (goods and services) they collective end up producing. Mike Ballard

------

Here is an amusing story. The last construction job I had was as a day laborer about eight years ago. My job that day was to break up a concrete foundation and basement floor, load the debris into a wheel barrow and put it into an old flat bed truck with stake sides. The ramps that connected the basement area to the truck on a small hill above the site were made of 2 x 12's. The worse part of the ramp system was of course getting from the ground up into the truck bed. My tools were the usual third world fair, a 12 lb sledge, a wrecking bar, a pick, a shovel and a wheel barrow. (A wrecking bar is a octagonal bar made of steel about five feet long, with a point on one end and a flat chisel shape on the other end.)

A few weeks later I was in a construction tool rental yard and saw the rental price for an electric jack-hammer and a portable conveyor belt rig, both of which would have been real back savers. The day price for the rental of either was higher than my pay for the day. I was actually cheaper than power tools!

Very ego enhancing stuff...

CG