[lbo-talk] re: biz ethics and slavery

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Thu Aug 12 23:42:13 PDT 2004

From: andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com>

Actually, this is cheap cynicism that shows a mistaken grap of the nature of markets and business activities. ******************************************************

Why don't you work like other folks do? How the hell can I work when there's no work to do? [ALTERNATE LAST LINES: How the hell can I work when the sky is so blue? OR: How can I get a job when you're holding down two?]

CHORUS:

Hallelujah, I'm a bum,

Hallelujah, bum again,

Hallelujah, give us a handout

To revive us again.

Oh, why don't you save all the money you earn? If I didn't eat, I'd have money to burn.

Whenever I get all the money I earn, The boss will be broke, and to work he must turn.

Oh, I like my boss, he's a good friend of mine, That's why I am starving out on the breadline.

http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/parton/2/bum.html

Business runs mainly on trust and requires an fairly robust ethical standard. If it's all a cheat and and sham, then any market system would collapse in very short order.

******* Nice boss!

************

The law and threat of legal sanction, civil and criminal, is incapable of keeping people in line if they are not generally pretty decent to start with. You know this, too. You act on it even if you don't officially believe it. *******

We are wage-slaves because we have to sell our skills and time to the employing class. We don't have to believe that a fair day's wage is possible in a system designed to rip us off as a class at the point of production.

It's nice that the State legalizes this process and makes everything just. You play by the rules or you go to jail. ****************

Essentially every transaction you make in the market depends mainly on your trusting in the ethics of businesspeople. At the same time, competitive pressures and inequalityinly continually undermine the ethical support that market systems generally and capitalism in particular require to survive. Adam Smith was highly ware of this. It is wht he wrote both The Wealth of Nations and The Theory of The Moral Sentiments.. ******************************************************

You take Smith. I'll take Marx. The morality of the whole shebang comes down to this: wage-slaves are not free because they do not own the wealth they produce and that hurts them in ever so many ways.

Regards, Mike B)

From: Chuck Grimes

---------

No problem.

The answer is there are no business ethics.

There is no limit to, that is to say, there is no greatest lower bound on the indefinite interval of malfeasance, fraud, and corruption by and for the conduct of business except those imposed in the completely tangential formalism of the cost-benefit calculation of litigating them.

What the fuck else is there to understand?

Doktor Chuck

^^^^^^^

CB: There is the One Commandment: "Thou shall make money".

And the way you do that is by hiring wage-slaves and paying them less than the value of the commodities (goods and services) they collective end up producing.

"Thou shalt not steal." ????

Best, Mike B)

===== Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Albert Einstein