[lbo-talk] re: biz ethics and slavery

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Fri Aug 13 08:20:15 PDT 2004

Carrol Cox wrote:

>I do think it wrong to call capitalism immoral, for reasons analogous to
>the reasons Miles has been giving on the other issue. Morality is
>history-bound, not transcendent. Hence the charge that capitalism is
>immoral or unethical is a claim that the judge is outside history, but
>that is the implicit claim in all capitalist ideology.

NO. Placing the right to private property over the right to life (and quality of life) is immoral. If you want to say that private property (and the asserted right thereto) is not a historic constant, sure.

Perhaps "morality" defined by Nietzche as "virtue in need of justification" is the wrong word to use. So i'll settle for calling any system that places a higher value on private property than life ethically bad. Or maybe just absolutely and unrelatively bad.

Joanna