[lbo-talk] State of the U.S. Left

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 13 09:59:24 PDT 2004

>Dennis Redmond said:
>
>"But the US Left lacks even the most basic support structures, spaces and
>places -- a political commons, if you will -- where long-term conversations
>can happen
>between identity-movements, artists, interested laypeople, union activists,
>NGOs and political parties.
>
>Or I am wrong about this?"
>

>No, I think you're right about this. It bothers me considerably. There
>must be many ways to describe and interpret this condition. I would
>greatly welcome a discussion on this topic that would avoid sniping and
>egoism. It's such an important topic.
>
>Bob Mast
>Detroit

Yes, it is an important topic, and I have no idea whatsoever how to improve things. Years ago I had hopes the Internet would provide the magic ingredient, but the varied ventings, musings, etc. that are viewable hereabouts and on similar lists have never seemed to reflect any forward motion in terms of increasing left consensus and drive.

Why the left is unable to gain any coherence and traction after decades of conservative misrule is a great mystery to me. I think that interesting study What's the Matter With Kansas? deserves a sequel, What the Fuck's Wrong With the Left?

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Don’t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/