[lbo-talk] re: biz ethics and slavery

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sat Aug 14 00:25:29 PDT 2004

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Marxist position, and do not quote Marx as an authority. But
>here I do. It seems to me that to reject Marx here is to fail completely
>to understand capitalism. Exploitation is a technical relationship, not
>theft.

It kind of depends on what you take as your starting point. If your premise is that we hold the good in common, then exploitation is theft.

I don't know what it means "to reject Marx here." I don't know what a "technical relationship" is. To exploit is to use for private gain. A non-exploitataive relationship posits the possiblity of reciprocity or of a long-term common good.

I would like it to be possible to use words like "theft" with reference to our experience of wage labor rather than with reference to the Marxist cannon.

Joanna