[lbo-talk] Labor panels at Life After Capitalism 2004

marc marc36 at resist.ca
Sat Aug 14 10:54:52 PDT 2004

*Please forward widely*

*Space is running out- REGISTER TODAY*

Dear friends,

We're just days away from Life After Capitalism 2004- an exciting conference and activist gathering taking place in NYC one week before the RNC.

Among many other topics, 1 panel on each day of the conference will address themes and questions pertinent to the labor movement and class struggle in the U.S. (and beyond) of interest to working people, union memebrs and staff, and all labor activists.

Topics covered will include:

*Overview of postwar U.S. labor history *Union democracy and reform movements *community unionism, minority unionism, workers centers *Reimagining the labor movement- the role of radical vision *Organizing immigrants and the undocumented; organizing in the low-wage service sector *Grassroots international solidarity *Forging ties between labor and the global anticapitalist social movements and more...

Including representatives from:

*Civil Service Employees Association *Coalition of Immokale Workers *Domestic Workers United *Justice for Janitors *Montpelier Downtown Workers Union *NYC-based workers center *'The Take' (Documentary on Argentinian factory occupations) (*for identification purposes only) and more...

The discussions around labor are part of the larger conference:

*Life After Capitalism 2004 NYC August 20-22*

<http://www.lifeaftercapitalism.org> -- register now !--

The protests around the Republican National Convention taking place in New York City later this summer are shaping up to be perhaps the largest this country has ever seen...

While these protests will give us the chance to collectively raise our voices in opposition to the direction that this government is taking us - many of us realize that the problems that we face run much deeper then simply the Bush administration, the Democrats, or this upcoming current election cycle. What we face are institutional problems, problems which will only be challenged and ultimately overcome by imaginative and broad based social movements- not ballot boxes. Life After Capitalism 2004 aims at contributing to this process by providing a space for activists- in the run up to the intense mobilization period- to reflect on the importance of long term vision, strategy, and face to face relationship building.

This is an invitation, asking activists from around the country to come into New York City a week prior to the major demonstrations and participate in what should be an exciting and energizing weekend – a weekend that seeks to bring together and give voice to the (non-sectarian) anti-capitalist left, anarchist, and kindred social movements in the United States...

Our site <http://www.lifeaftercapitalism.org> briefly outlines the basic areas of focus within the conference and provides a (partial)list of speakers and schedule. In addition the site allows you to register online, something we encourage folks to do as soon as possible due to space restrictions of approx. 800 participants. We have worked very hard to keep all costs to a minimum ($15-25 sliding scale) - all registration fees go directly into making this weekend happen as our only funding comes through the opening Friday evening event and conference fees. We also have a number of free registration slots which will be extended specifically to activist communities who have been traditionally marginalized from these kinds of gatherings and debates. For information regarding a waiving of the conference fees and any other questions, please contact: info at lifeaftercapitalism.org or call (212) 591-0083.

We hope to see you all in New York for what should be an amazing weekend!