[lbo-talk] US backs Japan's bid for UNSC seat

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Sat Aug 14 20:13:12 PDT 2004

Michael Perelman wrote:

> What I found most interesting in this article was the selective morality of the U.S.

I am not sure if the US alone is guilty of selective morality in foreign and defense policies. Probably all nation-states do the same thing. Morality is rarely the basis for foreign and defense policies of nation-states.

> Japan would be fit for a seat on the Security Council if it would renounce pacifism.

As the second largest economy in the world, Japan can't be kept out of the UNSC. As the UNSC member, Japan must be willing to implement the UNSC resolutions with armed force, if necessary. That involves the amendment to Japan's constitution.

Ulhas