[lbo-talk] Democracy and Constitutional Rights

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 15 05:10:19 PDT 2004

This puts me one over, but...

I wrote:

I was thinking of Stoicism being practically the state religion of the Empire, and Stoicism was mono- and pan- (as opposed to poli-) theistic, and rationalist.

-- I add: See:

Epictetus uses "God" and "the Gods" interchangeably:

Are these the only works of Providence in us? What words suffice to praise or set them forth? Had we but understanding, should we ever cease hymning and blessing the Divine Power, both openly and in secret, and telling of His gracious gifts? Whether digging or ploughing or eating, should we not sing the hymn to God:— Great is God, for that He hath given us such instruments to till

the ground withal: Great is God, for that He hath given us hands, and the power of

swallowing and digesting; of unconsciously growing and

breathing while we sleep!Thus should we ever have sung: yea and this, the grandest and divinest hymn of all:— Great is God, for that He hath given us a mind to apprehend these things, and duly to use them!What then! seeing that most of you are blinded, should there not be some one to fill this place, and sing the hymn to God on behalf of all men? What else can I that am old and lame do but sing to God? Were I a nightingale, I should do after the manner of a nightingale. Were I a swan, I should do after the manner of a swan. But now, since I am a reasonable being, I must sing to God: that is my work: I do it, nor will I desert this my post, as long as it is granted me to hold it; and upon you too I call to join in this self-same hymn.

http://www.authorama.com/the-golden-sayings-of-epictetus-1.html

Seneca was a monotheist:

Nothing is void of God, his work is everywhere his full of himself -- Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Emperor Marcus Aurelius was a pantheist:

Constantly regard the universe as one living being, having one substance and one soul; and observe how all things have reference to one perception, the perception of this one living being; and how all things act with one movement; and how all things are the cooperating causes of all things which exist; observe too the continuous spinning of the thread and the structure of the web.

http://classics.mit.edu/Antoninus/meditations.4.four.html

All things are implicated with one another, and the bond is holy; and there is hardly anything unconnected with any other thing. For things have been co-ordinated, and they combine to form the same universe (order). For there is one universe made up of all things, and one God who pervades all things, and one substance, and one law, one common reason in all intelligent animals, and one truth; if indeed there is also one perfection for all animals which are of the same stock and participate in the same reason.

http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/aurelius02.htm