[lbo-talk] Good Morning America on anarchism

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Aug 16 08:19:27 PDT 2004

B. wrote:

> News ticker at bottom of screen during ABC's Good
> Morning America this morning:
>
> "ANARCHISTS' CONVENTION DEBATES WHETHER VOTING MAKES
> YOU A BAD ANARCHIST"
>

> Not kidding. [Doesn't provide any more details than
> this.]

This is just pretty typical of how the corporate media covers contemporary anarchism. But at least they are treating the debates at that convention seriously instead of focusing on how anarchists look.

For the record, voting doesn't make one a "bad anarchist," but voting is a personal decision incompatible with the ideas of anarchism. We live in a complicated world where some of us feel compelled to participate in shams like elections. I know of some anarchists who are thinking about voting. I was recently informed by an organizer with the national Greens that many of the Greens are actually anarchists. But this stuff is the exception to the basic principles of anarchism which stresses direct action and counsels against voting.

Chuck0