[lbo-talk] A dimes bit of difference and then some...

JW Mason j.w.mason at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 16 17:07:41 PDT 2004

You forgot the Family & Medical Leave Act.

I had this exact conversation with David Moberg, a sober-to-a-fault guy who's been writing about labor for decades, a while back and he concluded that the Clinton administration had delivered essentially nothing for unions. Look at your own list. It's pretty small beer. How many workers in total do you think it all organized, or would have in the case of striker replacement? Levae aside the NLRB appointees, where admittedly there's a discernible difference between the parties, and the answer is basically zero.

In fact, I'd say that labor policy is one of the areas where the difference between the parties is smallest. You can't say that Clinton would have done more for unions if he'd had a Dem majority in Congress, either -- I can't think of a single part of labor's agenda that he spent significant political capital on, and the dead-set opposition of the whole union movement didn't give him any noticeable pause on free trade.

It's perfectly possible to recognize the urgency of electing Kerry this fall without exaggerating the differences between the parties or denying that the American electoral system poses major structural obstacles to the left and to progress in general.

Josh