[lbo-talk] A dimes bit of difference and then some...

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Mon Aug 16 17:17:52 PDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "R" <rhisiart at charter.net>
>nathan, you conveniently forget NAFTA, a "free trade" bipartisan effort
the
>republicans pushed for years and clinton signed into law. the unions
and
>the people are thrown crumbs when the loaf -- and the entire bakery --
goes
>to business. this is the democratic party, and has been for decades. the
>democrats grease the pole where the republican's don't.

I didn't forget it, but NAFTA just illustrates the differences between the parties. Clinton aside, two-thirds of Congressional Democrats voted AGAINST NAFTA. As I often note, all the folks who talk about "parties" conveniently like to just talk about Clinton when it suits them, since it allows them to ignore the radically different voting records of most Democrats versus the average voting records of most Republicans.

Fast track was defeated by the Democrats under Clinton, but the GOP Congress with Bush's support pushed it through.

-- Nathan Newman