[lbo-talk] productivity

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Tue Aug 17 00:32:57 PDT 2004

At 9:44 PM -0400 16/8/04, snit snat wrote:

>What are the problems with what I'm envisioning? Not enough
>resources, of course. Are we opposed, in principle, to charity? Is
>working in "civil society" something leftist ought to oppose, in
>principle, because those voluntary civil society organizations prop
>up capitalism?

There's nothing wrong with charity in principle, it is after all just a tax dodge. No reason why those suffering from hunger and want shouldn't rort the system too instead of contenting themselves with the crumbs. It would be nice to see some charities controlled by the poor themselves. (Disclosure of interest: I am part of one such charity.)

Resources? Well don't forget the unemployed have their labour-power and after all, labour is the source of all wealth. Just because capitalists don't want to buy their labour doesn't mean it doesn't have any value.

The voluntary charitable organisations that prop up capitalism are, of course, predominately controlled by middle-class professionals. The whole point is to prop up capitalism, by patching up the worst social eyesores.

The idea is good, in fact its been done. Successfully, I speak from experience. Are you prepared to give up your job and become unemployed, to organise the unemployed? That would be ideal, just giving money isn't enough. Its a help, but not enough.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas