[lbo-talk] Dollar-store economy

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 17 07:50:55 PDT 2004

Dollar Tree is one of the larger ones around my area [Dallas]. There was also a chain called Greenbacks, but Dollar Tree bought them out. As well, there's a variety of what appear to be independently-owned dollar stores. Dollar General is ubiquitious, but it's "fake" dollar store in that most of the items inside are actually over $1.

I've often been surprised at what you can actually get in these places. In some ways, it's comforting to know that for $2 you could a jar of peanut butter and a loaf of bread at one of these places and feed yourself for a week or two, if you had to.

----- Original Message ----- From: "DeborahSRogers" <debburz at yahoo.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 8:51 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Dollar-store economy

> Most of the dollar stores here were family-owned
businesses run by
> various asian and middle-eastern immigrant families,
reminescent of
> the old five and dimes from our childhood, where you
could find just