[lbo-talk] re: biz ethics and slavery

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Thu Aug 19 18:02:46 PDT 2004

Charles Brown wrote about Marx and Engels:

So, in opposing exploitation they were opposing their individual self-interests, acting in the interest of others (the exploited) or acting "morally". I mean isn't "moral" synonymous with altruistic ? *********************************************************

Do unto others as you would do have them do unto you... That's what "moral" boils down to for me.

A free association of producers where the condition for the freedom of each is the condition for the freedom of all...Yeah, ok, I endorse that kind of communism. It's in my self and class interests--I think Marx and Engels did too.

It's also moral. Who says so? Me. It seems to me that the destruction of self is immoral and not in my interests. However, it may be part of the dominant ideas of the era I live in e.g. that I must adopt the servile position and become a wage-slave or sleep under a bridge, protecting my shopping cart and that it is just and moral that my class gives up the social product of its labour to the capitalist class because my class has to sign a wage-labour contracts in order to make a living.

Humanity, now class divided, creates morality and so much more. Sometimes the morality of one class clashes with another.

Best, Mike B)

===== To the fervent proponents of ruthless corporate capitalism I say: make a millionaire CEO live as a poor sweatshop worker in Indonesia for one month and then ask him about the merits of the world economic system.

-- Vassilis Epaminondou http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal