[lbo-talk] Re: Groups (was Constitutional Rights and Democracy)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 20 04:39:52 PDT 2004

--- BklynMagus <magcomm at ix.netcom.com> wrote: And yet the ideas made famous by the Enlightenment were propounded by the Buddha during the 4th century BCE. In the pieces from Marcus Aurelius Chris posted you can see how Buddhist thought was used in the Roman world view. The Enlightenment was nothing new. Buddhist and other Indian concepts are at the root of many civilizations in both the West and the East. ---

I'm no expert on this, but as far as I know the main influence from India on Greco-Roman thought, via the Skeptics, was Hinduism. (Didn't Zeno of Elea visit India?)