[lbo-talk] KPFA Staff Open Letter to the Local Station

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 20 13:15:54 PDT 2004

Sasha Lilley wrote: "I do think the bylaws are a disaster." If you were actually following the events since the lockout and related lawsuits you would know that the bylaws were actually the result of long, arduous efforts to *stave off* disaster. Everydody involved in writing the bylaws knew that they were problematic but they were a compromise and they were mandated by the court settlements - as were the elections - on pain of the entire network being put into receivership. Many of us spent years negotiating among the disparate factions over bylaws provisions - and they can always and probably will be amended. The costs of the elections are a necessary evil - again they are mandated by the court settlement and once the LSBs are in place they will be in for three year terms which will decrease the frequency. The costs are also bound to decrease over time as the process becomes more streamlined. As to the level of listener participation, that is not an argument against a democratic process, we still have the highest level of listener participation of any listener-sponsored radio including KQED which also has a democratically elected governing board and functions quite well - mainly because they are all liberal democrats or whatever. Part of the big problems (and strengths) at KPFA (and Pacifica) is the astounding ideological diversity and attendant struggles for primacy among the different tendencies.

It is really a question of whether you support the model of a democratic, participatory, community radio. One thing that people like yourself conveniently forget is that programmers get involved in station affairs (as volunteers) in much the same way and for the same reason as people who got involved in saving the station - indeed many of those (us) who got involved were former programmers and volunteers who were purged by the corporate raiders - Pat Scott, Mary Frances Berry & Co. And we got involved to save the station - not to run for office, the whole idea of running for the elected LAB came up years into the struggle when it became clear that democrtic governance, with all its problems was the only way to go.

It seems that people like yourself get involved at the station like everybody else, taking advantage of the fact that KPFA embraces and encourages community involvement and then you want to turn around and close the door once you are in. You have no respect for the very fact that KPFA is a community institution. To be sure, this creates a paradox to the extent that KPFA is also a non-profit entity that needs to be managed well. But the beauty of Pacifica is that it tries to create and foster 'alternative' ways of doing things, to create space for voices that are marginalized from the mainstream. The challenge is to ensure that the station remains vital, and has internal coherence, while at the same time being open and accesible to new ideas and voices. A democratic governance structure is the only way to ensure this.

Joe W.

http://www.glib.com/pacifica_has_bylaws.html

Judge Sabraw has ruled that the Pacifica Foundation has bylaws. He has also ruled that the nominations for elections are to run from September 15, 2003, to November 15, 2003.

SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF ALAMEDA

DAVID ADELSON, et al., Plantiffs vs. PACIFICA FOUNDATION, et al., Defendants

ORDER RE: ENFORCEMENT OF SETTLEMENT

The above-entitled matter came on regularly for hearing at 9:00 a.m. on September 12, 2003. Having heard the arguments of all counsel, and the arguments of parties who appeared in pro per, and having read and considered all of the pleadings, including the Opposition Memorandum of Points and Authorities and supporting declarations filed by Margalo Ashley-Farrand, THE COURT HEREBY ORDERS AS FOLLOWS:

1. The Court GRANTS the motion of Carol Spooner. The Court finds that the "Draft B" proposal for the new Pacifica Foundation By-Laws has been adopted by virtue of the approval by two-thirds majority vote of the interim Pacifica National Board on June 26, 2003 and by virtue of the subsequent approval by a majority vote of three of the five Local Advisory Boards as required by the Settlement Agreement entered in this litigation. The objections of various parties and others to reconsideration by the KPFK Local Advisory Board of the "Draft B" proposal beyond the deadline of July 23, 2003 as provided in this Court's order of July 14, 2003, are not well taken. The Court notes that these proceedings are equitable in nature. The Court has observed on numerous occasions the need of Pacifica Foundation to bring about resolution of the disputes between and among the various members and factions within the Pacifica community. To this end, the Court finds that the reconsideration of "Plan B" by the KPFK Local Area Board on August 23, 2003 is in substantial compliance with this Court's order of July 14, 2003. The Court further determines that with the vote of the KPFK Local Advisory Board on August 23, 2003, the requirement for adoption of the new Pacifica Foundation By-Laws have been met.

2. The process of electing new directors for the Pacifica Foundation National Board shall commence forthwith. The nominations period shall open on September 15, 2003 and shall be closed November 15, 2003.

IT IS SO ORDERED.

Dated: September 15, 2003

[signed] Ronald M. Sabraw Judge of the Superior Court