[lbo-talk] KPFA Staff Open Letter to the Local Station

srobin21 at comcast.net srobin21 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 20 14:55:26 PDT 2004

As only one listener to KPFA (and KPFK), I can say that Sasha is presenting one side of the story. On the other hand, my understanding is that many of the current problems at KPFA were caused by staff protection of turf. E.G., the fact that someone suggested the cardinal sin that the morning show start time move from 7 to 8 a.m. and extending the finish time until 10 a.m. so that two hours of Democracy Now could air from 6 to 8 a.m. Maybe that was (or wasn't) a dumb idea, but it didn't justify the hullabalo that ensued.

While it may well be that the listeners "empowered" at KPFA by the by laws and the LAB may only be the activist listeners, isn't that still better than having no imput at all and essentially letting the same programmers who have had shows for 30+ years keep doing and saying the same things over and over again without any input? At KPFA ( as opposed to KPFK), there was precious little diversity of political thought on the air before 1999 - (E.g. virtually no coverage of the Greens, even when they won a state legislative seat in the East Bay) There should be more substance to political discourse on KPFA than simply repeating the words "Isn't Barbara Lee great." and I fear that is what we will get tf we return to the old ways of doing things.

Admittedly, Sasha is an exception to that, I think she and C.S. have an excellent program. Steve