Groups (Was Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Democracy and ConstitutionalRights)

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Aug 20 18:09:45 PDT 2004

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Luke Weiger wrote:

> [...]

Are you serious arguing that all of the characteristics of Enlightenment thinking and values can be explained by just-so stories like this? If so, how do you explain the fact that many human societies do not value or heavily rely on Enlightenment style thinking? (Read some of Sternberg's stuff on cultural differences in the definition of intelligence, for instance.)

And if the Enlightenment just reflects how people think, why do historians make a fuss about it? Nothing really changed?

(--Once again, old whisker's dead on: people treat the products of social relations as something that must preexist social relations!)

Miles