[lbo-talk] Re: Groups (was D & CR)

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Aug 20 18:33:45 PDT 2004

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, BklynMagus wrote:

> I agree that the end products of logic/rationality
> are determined in part by the cultural premises put
> into the machinery of logic/rationality. Where I
> disagree is in believing that the machinery itself is
> culturally determined (if this indeed is what Miles is
> maintaining and not my miseading of his posts).

You're not quite getting my point. Yes, the human brain is capable of "logic/rationality". But this mode of thinking that you like is a social product, not a cultural universal. --There is a huge pile of historical and cross-culturally research that supports this claim; saying "I don't believe it" doesn't make all the data go away.

Miles