[lbo-talk] Re: Groups (was Constitutional Rights and Democracy)

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sat Aug 21 09:53:48 PDT 2004

On Aug 20, 2004, at 9:19 PM, Miles Jackson wrote:

> This is an interesting claim to me. I associate the Enlightenment
> with scientific rationality, epistemological individualism, and
> a skepticism of religious authority. Is this really consistent
> with Buddhism? Do Buddhists agree that scientific practice and the
> dissemination of scientific knowledge is the key to human progress?
> I assumed you guys privileged religious faith over "linear",
> "Western" rationality.

I think what we have here is just a little equivocation on the word "Enlightenment" -- the 18th-century European meaning vs. the Buddhist meaning.

However, I should add that Buddhism is not essentially in conflict with science -- fundamentally, it is an analysis of ordinary life experience. Granted, a lot of expressions and elaborations of the fundamentals, in Mahayana sutras, for example, get pretty wild, so they don't look at first glance like "linear Western rationality." There are any number of modern commentaries by Western authors that phrase the basic concepts in terms scientific-minded Westerners can understand better, though purists denounce them for watering down the "true Dharma." My attitude is -- whatever lights your fire. (Traditionally, this was called "skillful means" -- teaching in terms that the student can accept.)

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ "The years of a lifetime are a flash of lightning; who clings to objects? They are empty through and through. Even if you care for the nose hung

in front of your face, still be careful and value every moment to work on enlightenment." --Dogen, "Eihei Koroku"