[lbo-talk] Michael Moore and Gun-Control Liberalism

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Aug 21 16:13:49 PDT 2004

>It's No Accident, August 20, 2004
>
>One Michael Moore is worth a hundred cult-crit professors
>by John Lacny
<snip>
>Professor Leonard didn't see the same Bowling for Columbine that I
>did. Moore's tone in that film may have been flippant and
>lighthearted -- he always is -- but I did notice that he located the
>origins of US gun culture in the slave patrols of the Old South and
>in the white-settler roots of the country as a whole.

Once you identify the origins of US gun culture in the slave patrols of the Old South and the white-settler roots of the country as a whole, you can go either way:

Since Blacks -- especially free Blacks -- have been historically excluded or restricted from the right to bear arms, working-class whites should also give it up, or at least submit to more stringent gun control favored by liberals of the Democratic Party;

or,

Since Blacks -- especially free Blacks -- have been historically excluded or restricted from the right to bear arms, they ought to vigorously assert it as a necessary precondition for gaining freedom, dignity, and full citizenship, rolling back the wars on crimes in general and on drugs in particular, in the process changing gun culture of the United States.

Looking at Michael Moore's <em>Bowling for Columbine</em>, you would never think of Blacks, Indians, Latinos, Asians, and working-class whites on the left as having ever asserted their right to bear arms, although US history is full of working-class attempts at self-defense: e.g.,

>Say what you want about Michael Moore, but he's a genuine
>progressive who doesn't deserve to be lumped with
>not-as-smart-as-he-thinks-he-is libertarian Bill Maher or
>conventional Clinton liberal Al Franken.

Moore lumped himself with Maher and Franken by jumping on the Anybody But Nader gang's bandwagon, except that, to my knowledge, Maher and Franken didn't go so far as to endorse and write a fulsome praise for Wesley Clark.

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>