[lbo-talk] Re: biz ethics/slavery/groups/constitutional

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sun Aug 22 15:22:08 PDT 2004

"Brian Charles Dauth" <magcomm at ix.netcom.com>

Mike writes:

> It seems to me that the destruction of self is
immoral and not in my interests.

Brian responds: But is it in your self-interest to cling to a notion of self that forces you to endorse capitalism?

Mike writes again:

I see the destruction of self as a masochistic, social psychological tendency--a kind of self-immolation, if you will. The destruction of self is an important aspect of political power, domination by another person or in the case of say, capitalist social relations, acquiensence to the domination of the ruling capitalist class.

Brian continued: To me the point is to resist domination of all sorts. What sense does it make to object to being a wage slave, but then create the notion of "self-interest" and become a slave to that?

To which Mike observes:

The destruction of political power and thus domination of one person by another, should be a general principle of the movement toward greater freedom. It is in the class interests of all individual wage-slaves to have in mind the strategic goal of abolishing the wage system for this will result in the overturning of capitalist class domination, reulsting in more freedom and justice for all : one planet without gods or dominators--a democratic association of producers where the conditions for the freedom of each are the conditions for the freedom of all. Class interests don't negate the individual, they only negate narrow, bourgeois self-interest where one person's freedom is based on another's un-freedom.

If you like, keep your Buddah. I'll pass on the cosmic debris.

Salud, Mike B)

===== The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else.

George Bernard Shaw http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal