[lbo-talk] Hollywood buys rights to Russian blockbuster

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 22 20:01:36 PDT 2004

>From: joanna bujes <jbujes at covad.net>
>
>I grew up watching Russian movies -- they were great. I'll drink to a
>resurgent Russian cinema. Sure, there will be a lot of dreck.
>But there will be some great ones too.

Speaking of which, I was awestruck recently to see (in DVD form) Russian Ark, a film by Alexander Sokurov released a couple of years ago that is truly one of a kind. It's sort of a meditation on Russian history that is set in the Heritage, and it consists of the longest uninterrupted shot ever made, over 90 minutes long. It's not just a technical stunt (like Hitchcock's awkward Rope); it's a stunningly beautiful, thoughtful film -- one of the best I've seen in a long time. Funny thing is, I'd never heard of it before. I just stumbled across it at the local public library.

Carl