[lbo-talk] Columnist Holds US Responsible for Murder of Turkish Hostage Murat Yuce in Iraq

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 06:06:38 PDT 2004

Columnist Holds US Responsible for Murder of Turkish Hostage Murat Yuce in Iraq Istanbul Milliyet (Internet Version-WWW) in Turkish 05 Aug 04

[From the "Island" column by Can Dundar: "Who Is the Murderer?"]

I watched the tape of the savagery. I saw how three armed killers murdered in cold blood a worker who could not defend himself.

Even if the barbaric face of terrorism could be seen on the television screen with all of its starkness, the faces of the terrorists could not be seen.

The probability is high that they "knew" each other, as they were speaking Turkish among themselves. But there are those who seemed to me to be more "familiar" among the suspects, who were not seen on the television screen.

Let us enumerate:

Evidently, the plumber Murat Yuce was working at the Bilintur Company, which is the Turkish sub-contractor company of a Jordanian company, which is constructing the American base at Al-Fallujah.

Evidently, the company was doing the cleaning jobs of the Americans.

The bleach finished at this camp, which belongs to the Tepe Group.

Actually, there was bleach at the canteen [PX] of the Americans at the camp, but it was forbidden for the Turkish workers to shop there. The chief of the construction site sent Murat Yuce to another camp to buy bleach, even though it was not his job. The camp he went to was at a distance of 230 kilometers.

Murat Yuce went there and never returned.

I am curious: Who is the murderer?

After the murder, the International Transporters' Association stopped carrying goods to the American units in Iraq. In contrast to this, the Ro-Ro Ship Operators' and Combined Transporters' Association decided "to continue".

Saffet Ulusoy, the Chairman of the Association said, "One or two bad incidents could happen. Whoever died has died" and reminded that Iraq is a US$3-4 billion market for exports and transports. In other words he meant to say, "What is the importance of one or two lives in return for this money?"

It is known that strong companies do not go very much to Iraq, where the risks are very high, and mostly the companies in debt work "very hard" and as their receivables accumulate, they really sink into a quagmire. But the "necessary daring" of these companies is paid for by their employees who are thrown into the fire.

And we are curious: Who is the murderer?

Let us continue:

Approximately 50 thousand vehicles enter Iraq through the Habur Border Gate each month when it is known that those who are sub-contractors to the Americans are threatened.

The United States is responsible for their security.

The occupation army accompanies the vehicles entering Iraq in a convoy.

And after they unload the cargo, they are leaving the drivers without protection and abandoning them to their own fate.

Are you also curious about who is the murderer?

I was in [South] Korea the week before last. I personally observed how all hell broke loose after the murder of a South Korean taken hostage in Iraq and how the government accounted for this to the family of the murdered person and to the public.

Turkey was not even informed that Murat Yuce was taken hostage.

After the execution, the Turkish Foreign Ministry was satisfied with making the warning to the drivers who would go to Iraq, "Join the American convoys".

The press is only cursing at the triggermen.

Whereas, the "list of suspects" is long.

And the "real perpetrator", that is, those who occupied Iraq by completely ignoring the law, is at the head of the list.

As for those who are engaged in the "cleaning jobs" of the occupier and those who constructed the Abu-Gurayb torture house are branded with the stamp of "collaborator" and the cost is being paid by the innocent persons who are trying to earn a living.

The solution is to put an end to this unjust occupation and to transfer the security of the region to the UN, which is the joint organization of humanity.

Until that time, Turkey should stay away from this quagmire.