[lbo-talk] high on sociology

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Aug 24 16:01:51 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Guardian (London) - August 24, 2004
>
> Four days in California
>
> US sociologists are finally challenging the intellectual stranglehold
> of economists
>
> Jonathan Steele in San Francisco

> The profession's centre of gravity is moving left. There is a drive to
> inject ethical standards into the analysis of what most agree is a US
> society becoming increasingly polarised beneath its veneer of shared
> consumerism.

That's good to hear. The library profession has been moving quickly to the left, thanks to John Ashcroft and the Patriot Act. The American Library Association finally added wording about social responsibilities to our core professional language at the recent convetion.

It feels kind of weird to be more of the mainstream than as an outsider.

Frontpage Mag attacked several of my radical librarian friends last week with another of their screeds that was light on facts. It must suck to be a right wing conservative these days. You have all of this control of the media, but so much is out of your control.

Ugh, watched ten minutes of Dennis Miller last night. That guy was never funny on SNL and now he's this smarmy, presentable, right wing whacko.

Chuck