[lbo-talk] From under the Iron heel . . .

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 25 00:16:40 PDT 2004

Right, of course, as I conceded, we live in a fascist dictatorship without rights or freedoms, and so our laws have no democratic legitimacy.

Bill Bartlett <billbartlett at dodo.com.au> wrote: The criminal laws of the US are more outrageous in some ways. In particular the draconian penalties written into criminal statutes, which are designed to coerce those accused of a crime to give up their right to a trial and thus designed to undermine the presumption of innocence.

It might be argued that the outright abolition of personal rights and freedoms implemented by the nazis was at least more honest and above board. At least they didn't make sickening claims that minorities enjoyed equal rights.

"Democracy" doesn't validate a legal framework if the framework is implemented under false pretenses.