Groups (Was Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Democracy and ConstitutionalRights)

John Kozak j_k_ at xylema.org
Wed Aug 25 00:21:24 PDT 2004

> Similarly for mathematics -- some societies have been said to have
> no concepts of numbers, or only a few: "one," "two," "many,"
> etc. Perhaps they haven't found any use for developing mathematical
> concepts further than that, but I would bet that they would have
> little trouble learning "Western-style" mathematics, at least as
> well as well as American students do (not very well, in most
> cases!), if they were motivated to do so for some reason and were
> given instruction.

I'll take that bet ;-)

The Pirahâ (who I've mentioned already, and who seem to be a useful counter-example to everything) are one such society. They did want to learn numeracy skills, to avoid being ripped-off in barter, and the linguist/anthropologists living with them spent about a year trying to do so. These efforts produced no successes at all. The Pirahã couldn't accept various logically prior notions like "some questions must always have the same answers".

John