[lbo-talk] Frogs and Scorpions

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 25 07:34:22 PDT 2004

DeborahSRogers wrote:

>But what would happen if the GOP, having lost this one to Kerry,
>decided to take another approach after the election? I'd suggest
>that if they cut the nastiness, embrace Kerry as one of their own and
>muddy the already muddied waters even further between Dems and the
>GOP, then they'd have an excellent shot at moving this country
>towards their own brand of conservatism even more.

Not likely - they're all about nastiness, and there's no way they could surrender it. Or, as Alexander Cockburn put it long ago in doubting reports that Murdoch was about to sell the NY Post, it'd be like Dracula selling his coffin. Were Kerry to win, I don't doubt that the Reps would launch a ceaseless campaign of smears. Which could present an awful problem - how do you fight these creeps without defending Kerry, who will certainly deserve gobs of criticism?

Doug