[lbo-talk] Frogs and Scorpions

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 25 08:12:49 PDT 2004

Doug said:

>Which could present an awful problem - how do you fight these creeps
>without defending Kerry, >who will certainly deserve gobs of criticism?

Selective and/or strategic silence?

Let the GOB wet themselves over Kerry, work themselves into a more infantile appearance; that whole "Vets Against Kerry" thing seems to have been exposed nicely. "We" shut up and let them attack Kerry on stupid shit that has little to do with structural concerns (the usual filth they fling), with which we then hit Kerry. We can then join in indignanatly repudiating the GOB's "indecency" and "unfairness" while at the same time exposing them as liars and hypocrits (as usual). At the same time we concentrate on pointing out to people the structural matters underlying their troubles (this could work well with that stratum of the middle class that's feeling any economic pinch), which were brought on or exacerbated by both parties. Populist attacks and smears against "The Rich", or even certain familiar rich faces like Ah-nold, could be attempted in a demonization campaign like what they did with poorer folks a la your Willie Horton and our "squeegee kids" in Ontario.

Now if we only had the $$$$$$$ . . . .

PS: loved the thread title; made me think of that song "Spiders and Snakes" (Heh! That could be our theme song . . .).

PPS: Just finished a great book, "Lost In the Suburbs" by Stephen Dale. Really great examination of Reagan's techniques and target audience in Orange County, CA, how they translated well into the "Commonsense Revolution" of Mike Harris' Ontario, and possible material underpinnings for the success of those movements (nature of surburbia itself, pinch felt by many upwardly-mobile suburbanites in bad time, the campaigns stoking of fear [of imaginary criminals] and envy [of groups who are already organized to weather economic downturns] in those suburbanites. Great stuff!

_________________________________________________________________ Scan and help eliminate destructive viruses from your inbound and outbound e-mail and attachments. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.