[lbo-talk] Anybody But Nader

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Aug 25 13:30:57 PDT 2004

Nathan wrote:

>Yes, it's convenient that the ultraleft can dismiss the AFL-CIO, the
>NAACP, the Sierra Club, the Human Rights Campaign, and every other
>major mass organization out there as "not the movement." Since I
>can point you to multiples of their meetings where defeating Bush
>and the rightwing was made a priority.

On a limited number of issues, I have and will continue to work with organizers for such liberal interest groups as the AFL-CIO, the NAACP, the Sierra Club, and the Human Rights Campaign, but elections are not among them.

Among the aforementioned organizations, which one had a membership meeting on the basis of one person, one vote and decided to endorse the Democratic Party presidential candidate? None.

I'm not saying that they wouldn't endorse John Kerry if they had such votes, but the fact of the matter is that they don't even bother to hold such votes, and in the case of the AFL-CIO, officials would certainly resist holding such a vote.

Yoshie