[lbo-talk] Nothing to Discuss? was Re: (no subject)

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Wed Aug 25 15:16:24 PDT 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:36:33 -0700 (PDT) "Dennis Redmond" <dredmond at efn.org> writes:
> > in Iraq and Afghanistan, I think we are quite likely to see
> > a serious attempt at reviving the draft in the next administration,
>
> This could only happen if the US oiligarchy steals another election,
> giving it a free hand for its next domino: the invasion of Iran.

Even if they do not invade Iran, they still will still be facing a manpower shortage. Hence, I see efforts at reviving the draft. The occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan are still going to require thousands of fresh troops.

> Which
> will set off a geopolitical nightmare too horrible to contemplate.
>
> > And Kerry has made it clear that he wants to stay in Iraq.
>
> Nope. He's a neolib who will do what the multinational bourgeoisie
> want:
> get the hell out. It'll take some pushing, but it'll happen.

No, the multinational bourgeoisie thinks that Bush has fucked things up in Iraq, but Iraq is a prize that they are loath to give up. Hence, they seem to be leaning towards replacing the current chief executive with the guy from own state, Massachusetts. But they are not going to give up on Iraq that easily.

> > And just to remind you, Bill
> > Clinton almost invaded Iraq in 1998.
>
> Nonsense. Clinton did many vile things, but he was not a demented
> petro-fundamentalist freakozoid out to commit arson in the world's
> most
> combustible region.

Then what was this about? http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9802/18/town.meeting.folo/

Clinton realized that he didn't have the poltical support to go to war against Iraq. Then Monicagate broke out, so he never got the chance to build the political support that would have been required for him to go to war. (The role of contingency in history).