[lbo-talk] From under the Iron heel . . .

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Aug 25 17:19:25 PDT 2004

Why shouldn't an admittance of guilt decrease one's penalty? It shows contrition and more importantly saves the state (that is, the people) a bundle of resources--which, if you didn't know, will always be finite. Perhaps it would be best to put murderers X, Y, and Z away for 25 years, but if offering them 20 year sentences will allow us to put more money into higher education (or any number of other worthy ends) we need to take that into account.

-- Luke

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Bartlett" <billbartlett at dodo.com.au> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 8:08 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] From under the Iron heel . . .