[lbo-talk] Chechen Presidential Contender Alu Alkhanov Interviewed

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 26 03:21:29 PDT 2004

Russia: Chechen Presidential Contender Alu Alkhanov Interviewed Moscow Nezavisimaya Gazeta in Russian 20 Aug 04 p 2

[Interview with Chechen presidential candidate Alu Alkhanov by Andrey Riskin; place, date not given: "Alu Alkhanov: 'You Cannot Create Economy While Military Operations Are Under Way.' Main Contender for Post of President of Chechnya Is Seriously Worried by Situation in Republic" -- first paragraph is introduction]

[Text] Alu Alkhanov is the most conspicuous figure among the candidates for the post of president of Chechnya. In an exclusive interview with Nezavisimaya Gazeta he gave his assessment of the current situation in Chechnya and talked about the gathering momentum of the election campaign in the republic.

[Riskin] Alu Dadashevich, how far is the security of the upcoming elections guaranteed?

[Alkhanov] All preliminary measures to protect public order and the precinct and territorial commissions have been taken. These measures will be stepped up 10-12 days before the elections. This gives grounds for believing that the elections will be held to high organizational standards.

[Riskin] In other words, the separatists will not be able to wreck the elections?

[Alkhanov] So far as I am concerned, separatists are people who represent say one-third of a people. But the so-called separatists in the republic essentially represent nobody but themselves. Because the Chechen people do not want struggle, war, and terrorist acts. In my view, today there is no sizable real force capable of fundamentally changing the situation in any region of the Russian Federation. Remember what happened in Ingushetia. It was an ordinary bandit raid. Yes, it was quite bold and well organized, but that is probably not down to them but down to the irresponsibility of the republic's law enforcement structures. Yet there was information that the gunmen might stage a serious local action. But it was not fully studied.

[Riskin] It looks as though the gunmen have now "spread out" and are active throughout the North Caucasus....

[Alkhanov] I have repeatedly said that the gunmen, although they are described as Chechen, include Dagestanis, Ingush, and people of other nationalities.

To pretend that all the Wahhabites and terrorists are concentrated in Chechnya is to be complacent. For instance, no Chechen was involved in the 1999 explosions in Moscow. There were no Chechens among the direct perpetrators.

Unfortunately, Wahhabism has roots in Dagestan, Kabardino-Balkaria, Ingushetia, and Karachayevo-Cherkessia. The Central Volga Region and North Ossetia can now be added to this list. I think it is time to recognize that we need to organize work to counter Wahhabism and terrorism in all Russian Federation components.

[Riskin] Maskhadov has been strikingly active of late. Why is this?

[Alkhanov] In my view, it is primarily because of the tragic death of Akhmad-Hajji Kadyrov. I think they are hoping that his team will be unable to pursue the former course. They were evidently hoping to obtain additional opportunities for some kind of talks. Remember that in his first statement Maskhadov categorically dissociated himself from the attack on Kadyrov. But then he began to say everywhere that this would happen to everyone. This is a two-faced, treacherous policy with respect to his own people. It is this policy since 1991 that has brought our people to their present plight.

[Riskin] Are the bandit raids prepared by Maskhadov or Basayev?

[Alkhanov] The facts that Ramzan Kadyrov has been able to persuade large numbers of gunmen who backed Maskhadov to switch to our side and that the "Ichkeria defense minister" has turned himself in are very revealing. Effectively the force element is behind Basayev. That is where the money is going. This is the main backbone of Wahhabism.

[Riskin] You recently said that, if Maskhadov admits his guilt, talks are possible....

[Alkhanov] I said that discussion is possible. He has just one chance. He must behave decently and tell the people that he is effectively to blame for the fact that a second war took place in Chechnya. We know he was asked to admit at least that Basayev's incursion into Dagestan five years ago was an illegal act. But he refused. He did not condemn their actions.

[Riskin] Do you think Maskhadov will do this?

[Alkhanov] It's hard to say. I believe this would be the most correct decision on his part. He is perfectly well aware of the mood today among an overwhelming number of the Chechen people.

[Riskin] All over Chechnya today there are posters indicating that Ramzan Kadyrov supports presidential candidate Vakhu Visayev....

[Alkhanov] So far as I am aware, Ramzan Kadyrov, as one of the republic's leaders, has not supported anyone. But as a citizen and a voter, Ramzan Kadyrov is entitled to vote for someone. I think this is his purely civil decision.

[Riskin] How far does the center support your proposals concerning the creation of a free economic zone in Chechnya?

[Alkhanov] It is impossible to create either an economy or a social sphere when combat operations are under way in the republic. Akhmad Kadyrov had to resolve the main task at that time -- ensuring stability in the republic and ending military operations. At the same time he saw the need to boost the economy. My task is to ensure that these initiatives become reality today. We see in this special free economic zone particular levers that will make it possible to increase the effectiveness of our economic development.

[Riskin] The best people from Kadyrov's security service have joined the recently created special-purpose regiment of the republic's Ministry of Internal Affairs. Does the service still exist?

[Alkhanov] Some of the officers of the security service have joined this regiment, some have joined the West and East battalions. People are performing specific tasks in the fight against crime, and primarily against terrorism and Wahhabism. Today many people, influenced by the press, present the security service in a somewhat negative light. That is wrong, especially now that we are talking about consolidation within society. Admittedly, some of the people still do not have jobs at the moment. But we already have ideas on this score. Work will be found for everyone.