[lbo-talk] advances in parental discipline

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 26 08:09:04 PDT 2004

New York Post [Page Six] - August 26, 2004

THIS GIRL IS ON THE SAUCE

EVER wonder what happened to Lisa Whelchel, who played snobby rich girl Blair Warner on the '80s TV show "Facts of Life?" Neither had we. But Whelchel has blossomed into an evangelical Christian author who advocates "hot saucing," in which children are disciplined by putting hot sauce on their tongue. Whelchel, who promotes the practice in her book, "Creative Correction: Extraordinary Ideas for Everyday Discipline" (Focus on the Family/Tyndale House), tells the Washington Post: "A correction has to hurt a little. An effective deterrent has to touch the child in some way. I don't think Tabasco is such a bad thing." Her book suggests a "tiny" bit of hot sauce be used, and offers alternatives such as lemon juice and vinegar. Discipline involves "drawing a line to protect the child." If you say, so, Lisa: but it sounds like child abuse to us.