[lbo-talk] Nothing to Discuss? was Re: (no subject)

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Thu Aug 26 09:42:28 PDT 2004

Nathan Newman wrote:
>I actually don't see that much in the platforms, in substance as opposed
>rhetoric, that are so different. Platforms are deceptive, since they
>reflect promises, not voting records, which I think are far more
important.

-Once there was a rhetorical commitment, at least, to full employment -and universal public health insurance. Now there's a lot of -micro-techno-gobbledygook.

I guess I'm not so impressed with rhetorical commitment. I prefer looking at what folks do, not what they say. And when you look at actually existing policy and votes by Democrats, there is no evidence of rightward drift and, in fact, good evidence that the average Democratic officeholder is more liberal than the typical one back in 1972.

So give me gobbledygook and good votes over rhetoric and not so much.

-- Nathan Newman