[lbo-talk] Nothing to Discuss? was Re: (no subject)

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Thu Aug 26 18:43:51 PDT 2004

On Aug 26, 2004, at 11:07 AM, Nathan Newman wrote:

> I also find it odd to say that it's not the party's doing that they've
> moved to the right, since capital has been more assertive. If a
> group's
> options have changed but they have the same values, I don't think it's
> rightward shift to take changed options into account in making
> proposals.

I think the beef the critics of the DP have is that the party didn't act more assertively *against* capital, and (despite my intention to vote for Kerry) I can see their point. Why did the left wing of the DP cave in so thoroughly after the McGovern loss, I wonder. Were they convinced by the right wing of the party that the loss was due to his being too far left? Did they not have enough persuasive force to counter the right wing? Did they just get tuckered out? I wasn't paying enough attention to the internal affairs of the DP at that time to remember.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A gentleman haranguing on the perfection of our law, and that it was equally open to the poor and the rich, was answered by another, 'So is the London Tavern.' -- "Tom Paine's Jests..." (1794); also attr. to John Horne Tooke (1736-1812) by Hazlitt