[lbo-talk] Re: Klein vs. Gitlin vs. Cooper

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Aug 27 20:45:01 PDT 2004

> Max wrote:
>
> "Well, I couldn't have said it better, though I could have said it with a
> bit less cant. But the main point bears repeating: Nothing not even the
> U.S. Army more threatens the future of a democratic, pluralistic and (dare
> we wish, secular) Iraq than the political ascendancy of Islamic fascists
> like Al Sadr."

Wait a minute -- weren't Iraqi Shi'a the ones everyone was crying about when the mass graves in the south were exhumed? Weren't they, along with the Kurds, the main victims of Saddam's mass murder? So why now do we hate them? Because they shoot back at us? Are they any more theocratic now than they were when Saddam deemed them a threat? What amazes me is how American commentators and their parrots so casually and publicly use the same rhetoric about the Sadrists that Saddam and his Baathist apparatus doubtless did. Is our bloody talk less vile because we can rent DVDs in peace?

I back what Dwayne said in his post. Well done.

DP