[lbo-talk] It's the IQ, stupid

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Sat Aug 28 09:19:10 PDT 2004

Hi,

When Ravi, Carrol Cox, Michael Pugliese and I all line up against a position, it is a sign from the cosmos.

Much of the research behind the Bell Curve was based on highly biased studies funded by the eugenicist Pioneer Fund.

This in turn is rooted in the same pseudo-science of racial eugenics utilized by the German Nazi movement. The founding texts include de Gobineau's 1853-55 The Inequality of Human Races; Galton's 1870 Hereditary Genius: An Inquiry into Its Laws and Consequences; and Grant's 1916 The Passing of the Great Race. Eugenicists in the United States and Germany worked together prior to World War II, and some in the U.S. worked directly with the 'Nazi scientists whose work provided the conceptual template for Hitler's aspiration toward "racial hygiene" in Germany', according to Lombardo.

Paul A. Lombardo, '"The American Breed": Nazi Eugenics and the Origins of the Pioneer Fund', Albany Law Review, 65/3 (2002), pp.743-830;

See also: William Tucker, The Funding of Scientific Racism: Wickliffe Draper and the Pioneer Fund (Urbana, IL: University of Illinois Press, 2002). On contemporary manifestations, see Barry Mehler, 'Foundation for Fascism: The New Eugenics Movement in the United States', Patterns of Prejudice 23/4 (1989), pp.17-25; Barry Mehler, 'In Genes We Trust: When Science Bows to Racism', Reform Judaism 23, Winter (1994), pp.10-13, 77-79; Barry Mehler, 'Race and 'Reason': Academic Ideas a Pillar of Racist Thought'. Intelligence Report, Southern Poverty Law Center, Winter (1999), pp.27-32.

Chip Berlet