[lbo-talk] Re: Klein vs. Gitlin vs. Cooper

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Aug 28 10:11:46 PDT 2004

Chip Berlet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Against ethnonationalist secular fascists
> Against ethnonationalist theocratic fascists
> Against ethnonationalist U.S. imperialists
> Against transnationalist neocorporatist greedheads.
> Against political repression against anyone.
>
> It will never be a bumper sticker, but...

Bumper stickers are never an argument or an analysis -- but a position that cannot engender a legitimate and potent bumper sticker is to be suspected. By "legitimate" I mean that the 'slogan' can be elaborated in complex and principled argument.

The 'agins' above have various relationships to (possible) actual or potential practice, but the last one, "Against political repression against anyone," can be little more than a statement of personal moral 'druthers. At the level of 'druthers no one could disagree with any of the five, but in practice the last would, I believe, come into violent in irresolvable contradiction with the others (particularly the third and fourth).

I would love it if the resistance to the u.s. aggression in Iraq were led by devoted followers of Amilcar Cabral, Patrice Lumumba, and Mohammad Mossadegh. But it is not up to us, as residents of The Monster, to pick an choose among those who in fact are resisting that aggression.

Carrol