[lbo-talk] biz ethics/slavery/groups/constitutional

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 29 18:18:00 PDT 2004

There is a widespread assumption that if one supports markets one supports capitalsim, and indeed, capitalism at it is in the US rather than as it is, say in The Netherlands or Denmark. Also an assumption, reflected here, that support of liberal proceduralism means that one is an apologists for American politics as it is. No matter how many times one rejects these claims, they come back in a tedious manner.

Charles, you have known me for 25 years (scary thought, isn't it?). You know that I do not support or defend American politics as it is. So why do drag this bugaboo up? Do you think I will find it hard to say that I want radical change? In my case, it is largely because we fall so short of the requirements of liberalism (a view that is considered right wing only in weird circles like this --most Americans think that liberals are communists) that I strive for such changes. So let's not have this from people who know better, OK? jks

From: andie nachgeborenen

Well, there is some disagreement about that, which is why we are on the sides of respective fences we are on.

Venezuala is a different story: I'd put that in the liberal proceduralist column. They havea multiparty democracy, a fair amount of free speech, and decide on policies by majority vote -- sometimes with a lot of popular involvement. That's not how it is in Cuba or Vietnam. Or China or North Korea. Jks

^^^^^

CB: The U.S. procedures through history have included much war, conquest and tyranny, more of those than Cuba or Viet Nam. The current situation is the result of those procedures. So, is the U.S. unacceptable ?

No military career as Colonel and a following in the military, No Chavez government. Would have been overthrown. That one depends on military as well as electoral procedures. Bolivar was a general.